Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Marinara Sauce

This is one of those that duh! yes it is vegan! But I thought that some of you were trying to find a good recipe, so here is the one I use. The key ingredient of this sauce is the caramelized onions. That just means you cook onions until they are browned and sweet. Now, I am a foodie and I can do many things. I can make homemade chewy granola bars, fig newtons, souffles, cream brulees, liquors, but I can't caramelized an onion to save my life. So, I do them in a crock pot. Just slice a bunch of onions and put them in your crock pot with a stick of butter or margarine and cook on low for 24 hours.

Photobucket

You may want to cook them outside. It is a little smelly.

Photobucket

After draining, I freeze extras for another use.

The recipe turns out really thick, so I only use have of the tomato paste it calls for, and I use all crushed tomatoes. Also, stick with the dried herbs for this one, they hold up the long cooking time more than fresh would.

Photobucket

Photobucket

So here is Mark stealing the kids mozzerella to put on his pasta. Bad vegan, bad vegan!

Photobucket

This recipe does make extra to freeze, but it goes fast. In my pre-vegan days I would usually double it to make sure I would have enough. I only made a single recipe this time and that should be fine for the summer.

1 comment:

  1. I will try this! Don't be too hard on Mark he needs the calories. I used to have that problem 20 years ago :-)

    ReplyDelete