Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Spicy Guacamame!!!



Just a quick product review. I have heard of hummus made with edamame instead of chick peas, but it didn't sound all that great, so I kinda poo-poo'd the idea.


Then I was in Trader Joes with the boys and they were sampling it. They call theirs Guacamame. Much better marketing I think.





It was awesome!  My eldest said he liked it when he tried it in the store, but even though I didn't think it was too spicy, if may have been too spicy for his taste.

But fair warning: If you like guacamole like I do, it's not the same. But the big benefit is two-fold. One, It keeps much longer in the fridge and doesn't turn brown.  Two, its low-fat, low-cal and contains plenty of soy protein.




Always trying to find ways to make at home, what I can find in the store, I went on the hunt for a recipe and I found one on the Running on Real Food blog. But she called hers "hummus" and it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.  I couldn't get over the name, so I was inspired by her recipe to create what I wanted: My own version of the Trader Joe's Guacamame:


Guacamame

2 C edamame, cooked and shelled (just get a package of frozen edamame and thaw it)
1/4 C lime juice
1/4 t chili powder
1/4 C red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/4 C chopped red onion

Combine all ingredients except onion.  Process until smooth, then stir in onion.







No comments:

Post a Comment