Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Running Apps & Tomatillo Guacamole


Running Apps

What Running App do you use?   The two I know the best are Nike+ and Map my Run.

I prefer Map my Run for 2 reasons:

1) I can literally map out my course online before I head out.  This is just a sensible thing to do in my opinion. And I always tell my husband my route before I leave.  On my longer runs he and kids come out and set up refueling stops along my runs.  This is my favorite part of my runs and really keeps me motivated.  We don't pay for the upgraded live tracking feature but we don't need it. They can use the route I've set up on using either the app or website to predict where I'll be at a certain point (they know my pace time).

2) It doesn't drain my battery. This is actually my biggest problem with Nike+ which needs the phone on in order to run. I have run for around 2 1/2 hrs before my battery would die using Map my Run and that was on my old 3G phone.

Map my Run is also linked to www.myfitnesspal.com, which is cool because I can log my food and sync it with my workouts.   It does have the social networking component to it, which I do not use. I don't need it, nor do I appreciate social networking, so I locked down my privacy and just use it for myself.

It would really like it if I could convince my brother to join me on Map my Run, but he is a Nike+ fan.  Oh well.

Which app do you use?
                                                                ________________

Tomatillo Guacamole
The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook
Oxmoor House, 2000


I found this my old Cooking Light cookbook.  It has slightly different tang to it than standard guacamole, probably because of the tomatillos. But we like it. And unlike traditional guacamole it keeps well in the fridge for several days without turning brown.

1 11 oz can tomatillos
1 medium avocado
1 C chopped onion
2 T lime juice
1/8 t salt
1 1/2 t seeded, minced serrano pepper
2 t chopped fresh cilantro
1/8 t black pepper

Place avocado and tomatillos in a food processor and process until smooth.

Spoon mixture into a medium bowl and stir in remaining ingredients.  Cover and chill 1 hour.

2 comments:

  1. If I use something, I use Daily Mile. I used to use Map My Run on the computer, and if I am running longer distances, I may use it again in the future. The idea that you can sync it to myfitnesspal seems very helpful.

    I do have a garmin, which I love. The one I have now is a good size, but I am afraid the battery only last ~4 hours and if I ever do another marathon, it may need to last longer. I don't like to carry my phone cause I'm afraid I will drop it. I'm old school anyways. Been running before they had invented cell phones. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got my first smartphone a few years ago (not long before we moved to MN). So figuring all this out has been fun, but there are so many apps out there. I get discouraged easily, so I have to have a plan. And if I don't have music I can't seem to get in my zone. We will find out how my new phone (the 5C) does on longer runs pretty soon. I'm staring my marathon training course next month!

    ReplyDelete