Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal

Its the fall - my favorite time of year.  I love the cool weather, football and the anticipation of the holidays ahead.  Its easy to go nuts on all the sugary - spicy baked goods around at this time of year too.   I wish they were healthy for us.   I'd pig out without restraint.  But my waistline won't allow that - even for a second.

So I have found a way to indulge without the junk.  Pumpkin Oatmeal.  I found two versions that are very similar, and both can be made vegan or with dairy - whatever your preference.  The two below were made with full fat coconut milk (the canned kind).



If you have the time - like 30 minutes - to cook breakfast, steel cut oats are a great choice. They are very hearty and will carry you through you work morning or a good mid-distance run.  One of my favorite blogs is The Greatist and the photo above is the one I found on their site.  

For a creamier version of Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal, I'd recommend my own creation below.  I was inspired to create this recipe from one I found on all recipes.com that was not vegan and used methods I don't have good luck with. 

I always cook my oats on the stovetop.  Whenever I use the microwave I usually have an explosion of oats to clean up.  It takes a few minutes longer, but I like the results better. 





Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal (serves 1-2)

1 C old fashioned oats
3/4  - 1 C milk (I used coconut milk)
1/2 C canned pumpkin
1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t cloves, ginger
dash nutmeg
1 t brown sugar

Combine the oats, milk and pumpkin in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to combine and stir frequently until thickened. Add more milk to adjust consistency as desired. Add the spices and sugar. Garnish with muesli, nuts, raisins and sweeten with a little maple syrup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment