Friday, August 17, 2012

Eat More Kale!

Oh, I've got a slew of kale recipes up my sleeve. This is another one from VT (I'm telling you, this month was a good issue!).

Kale Chips.




Now, I tried Kale Chips before and I didn't like them. Not to mention expensive - I'm embarrassed to say I paid $7 for what I think is a 4 oz bag of them. But I didn't want to give up. Please keep in mind that I'm not a professional photographer. The picture above doesn't do them justice. You really must try these. They were the simplest to prepare. And totally yummy. Light, crispy, subtle hint of cheese.  None of that bitter green vegetable aftertaste that one would expect.

But I have take a moment to gripe.  Nutritional yeast. Can't find it anywhere. I could have driven to St Paul to Whole Foods to get it, but I didn't want to go all that way for one thing. I scoured the stores in my town - no one had it. So I ended up ordering it online from Bob's Red Mill. What a pain. I've skipped the nutritional yeast in many recipes before and they've all been fine. But if the recipe calls for it (and I'm coming across more and more that do), I figured I owed it the recipe to include it.

Kale Chips

1 12 oz bunch kale
1 T EVOO
1/3 C nutritional yeast

Preheat oven to 350. Tear kale into large chunks, removing the stems. Rub leaves with EVOO and sprinkle nutritional yeast over the top. Bake for 5 mins, then flip the kale and bake additional 5-10  minutes or until crispy.

Great!

No comments:

Post a Comment