Friday, May 20, 2011

Granny Cooper's Braised Greens

With our CSA pickup this week we had lots of greens and turnips. That meant it was time to break out one of my favorite (read you can make it during naptime and it's good to go for dinner) greens recipes. This recipe works well even if you are light or heavy on the greens - but try to include most of the onions and turnips - they really absorb the flavor and are super yummy! You can also mix different types of greens together in one batch - collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, etc. I don't usually use this recipe with other types of greens like kale, chard, or bok choy.

Hint for chopping greens: I started to "chiffonade" my greens just like I do basil. I stack up 2-3 leaves on top of each other; then roll them tightly length-wise. I make 1 cut down the middle lengthwise and then chop them into about 1 inch widths. It's easier then tearing.

3 tbsp canola oil (I used water instead)
3 cups onions, sliced (2-3 onions)
3 turnips, sliced thin (no need to peel and I always use all the turnips I have)
8 cloves garlic
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp black pepper
4 cups water
1 - 12 oz beer
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp molasses
5 lbs fresh greens, stems mostly removed (or whatever amount you have)
5-6 drops liquid smoke (optional, to taste)

1) Heat oil in large pot over med heat
2) Add onions, turnips, garlic, salt, cayenne, and black pepper and cook until onions are clear
3) Add water, beer, vinegar, and molasses and bring to a boil over high heat
4) Add greens in batches, mixing to wilt and submerge them all
5) Once all greens are added, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1 - 1 1/2 hours partially covered
6) Add liquid smoke if desired

There will still be plenty of liquid in the pot, it won't all be absorbed or cooked off, so make sure you serve these greens in a bowl. You can add extra white vinegar to taste when serving.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I am planning on making "mashed turnips" this week, but will definately make this next week if we get they same things. Also, you left the SCBG the other day right before James got a nasty head wound and I debated calling your husband back or going to the ER. Luckily, it stopped bleeding.

    ReplyDelete