Saturday, March 31, 2012

Plaintain Wraps with Black Bean Spread



We really liked this recipe. It reminds me of all the time we spent in the Caribbean. Plantains (Plan-Tains) are a member of the banana family. They are a starchy, low sugar variety that is cooked before serving as it is unsuitable raw. It is used somewhat like a potato would be used. Unripe plantains are green, just like unripe bananas, but unlike a banana they are at the peak of ripeness when they ripen thy turn black.

This recipe was super easy to put together. Any leftover the Bean Spread can be used as dip for chips. For myself, I would leave out the cumin in the bean spread next time and perhaps amp up the cayenne a tad. I'm not a lover of too much cumin. I think the smokiness of it is distracting. I did not feel it was necessary to add salsa or guacamole to the wraps, the plaintains turns sweet and crispy when fried and putting salsa on the wrap added too many competing flavors that took the spotlight away from the star of the show. Easy to make, easy cleanup and easy to prep in advance. I wish I could say they keep well as leftovers, but we ate them all! Will be making this again.

The recipe is from Jennifer McCann, author of Vegan Lunchbox Around the World.
Here is the link

No comments:

Post a Comment