Sunday, March 30, 2014

Getting Back in the Game & Asian Lettuce Wraps


I love to run.  I've been running since joining the army in 1996 at age 22. Before that I had never run. Except maybe in gym class.  And the softball diamond.  Running a mile, let alone the two miles required to pass a PT test seemed impossible for me. I didn't know how I would run THAT far.  But you do what you gotta do. Especially when there is a Drill Sargent yelling at you to pick your sorry ass up and fall back in line.

I've been running ever since. Took some time off to have babies, but now I'm back in the game.

I just read Scott Jurek's book Eat & Run.  He is one amazing guy and an incredible athlete.  He has inspired me to improve my own running and purify my eating. I started back on the vegan bandwagon just before reading his book, but since reading his story I have come accept that it is really is possible to achieve incredible athletism on a vegan diet.  Might I be allowed to join this select group of people?

Now I'm not a super star athlete like Mr. Jurek.  It takes a certain physiology to achieve what he has achieved.  And realistically, at 40, I am just getting ramped up.  But I certainly have athletic goals that are suitable for me and that, I believe, is good enough. Not everybody will be a professional athlete.  There is room enough for all abilities.

I've never really run anything farther than a 10k until last year when I ran my first half marathon. I hope to add to my accomplishments considerably this year.  I got hurt pretty badly last summer while on a 14 mile training run.  That took me out of the remaining races I had planned for the summer.  A severe blow to my bucket list. But what doesn't kill makes you stronger, right?

After physical therapy and 6 months off I started back in January.  My first time back was three miles on the treadmill.  It went smoothly and I've been keeping it going. I hope this season turn out better than the last.

                                                           ___________________

Asian Lettuce Wraps
Amy Holmes



This is my vegan adaptation of a recipe I found on allrecipes.com.  Its one of Nick's favorites. I like the Sweet Ginger Sauce by the Ginger People, but it can be hard to find - Whole Foods is the only place I've seen it. Thai Kitchen makes one that is good and its easier to find.


Filling                                                
1 C cooked lentils
1 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 C hoisin sauce
1 T rice vinegar
2 t sesame oil
1 T soy sauce
2 t fresh ginger, shaved

Accoutrements
Boston Bibb Lettuce
Green onions, chopped
water chestnuts
sugar snap peas
shredded cabbage
Asian Chili Pepper Sauce (Optional)


To prepare the filling, heat the oil of medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic until onions are soft and translucent. Add lentils, hoisin sauce and remaining ingredients and heat through- just a few minutes.

Assemble your lettuce wrap like a taco. In the photo above I used Romaine lettuce because I couldn't find Boston Bibb.  Spoon a portion of the lentil filling into the lettuce and top with the toppings you prefer.

Lentils will keep well for several days in the fridge.




No comments:

Post a Comment