Thursday, March 27, 2014

Joys of Raising Boys & Cocoa Pancakes


I find myself wondering if I'm a good 'boy-mom'. I have two boys. My youngest is still only 2. He still is very sweet and cuddly, loves his Mama.  My oldest is nearly 5. High energy. Stubborn.

And loves toilet humor.

All the time.

Poops.
Toots.
Butts.
Penises.

Just the word makes him bust into laughter.

At home.
At the store.
At the table.

It makes me crazy.

Now, I have to admit, sometimes I think its funny - like maybe 1 out of 50 times. But I can never let my hair down and chuckle with him because my husband thinks toilet humor is extremely funny too and struggles to control his own laughter. So I find that I have to be the bad cop.

If ever I had to summon that old Calgon commercial its been in the past 3 years.

Calgon Take me Away!

I don't even think they make Calgon anymore, but even if they did, it wouldn't help.

So what do I do?  I remember that even for all his toilet-humor loving ways, my son makes me proud every day. And he knows it, so he will keep doing things to make me proud:

Does favors for me, likes fetching something for me in the other room.
Sets and clears the table.
Unloads the dishwasher
Helps his little brother.
Makes his bed, folds his clothes and puts them away.
Cleans his plate and then says "This is good Mom, can I have more?"
He doesn't like shopping, but never complains about what I bring home for him.  He told me once: "I like everything you pick out for me, Mom"

He is going to be a very fine man one day.

I just wish he didn't talk about poopy butts at Target.
                    _______________________________________________________

Cocoa Pancakes
(from Vegetarian Times)




Sometimes you get sick of cereal and soy milk.  And then there are days you also need chocolate (at least I do).  This is from Vegetarian Times.   They were very good. Rich and thick. Not so much fluffy like you would get with a pancake that has egg in it, but its dense quality is made up for in its rich chocolate flavor.

Try these. 

2 comments:

  1. Yum! My kids thank you in advance I'm sure. I made some chocolate waffles for snow days, but thankfully, that doesn't happen very much around here. We go through phases with the potty humor and implemented a reverse swear jar that has worked pretty well. Mainly, I try to keep that kind of thing not during dinner. Hey it worked this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I should also tell you I have started topping my pancakes waffles with melted coconut butter. I get get it at the ingles in central, but I am sure you can find it in the big city!

    ReplyDelete