Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Ezekial 4:9 Bread





My go to lunch is one of two things that keep well in my fridge:  Quinoa Crunch Salad that Kerri found or this sandwich - Cucumbers, Roasted Red Peppers and Hummus on bread.  They are both super easy and fast. I don't often have a lot of time to sit down and eat (who does these days?), so this is a great option.

I think I actually posted this sandwich a few years ago, but since then, I've discovered Ezekiel 4:9 bread.


Now, I don't eat this bread every day. I probably should. Sprouted breads are supposed to contain more nutrients that processed white or wheat breads.   The theory is that they grains are harvest right when they sprout thereby introducing the proteins and carbs that are excellent for athlete's bodies. But this bread is very dry and crumbly and I although I like the flavor of the bread, I can't say I like the crumbs it produces.  The texture itself is ok, its just kind of messy (in my opinion).  I could deal with the crumbliness of the bread if it weren't for the price. Its expensive.  $5 for a 24 oz the loaf at Trader Joe's.  



There are some other brands, but they are in the same price range - maybe a buck less.   Silver Hills Bakery is a Canadian company that makes a good sprouted grain bread (and bagels) we get here in the upper midwest.  I think Trader Joe's carries another sprouted grain bread that is around $4. 

Here is Minnesota I can find Silver Hills Bakery Bread in 4 versions at Super Target in the bakery section.  The bonus for me is that my daughter likes this bread, and if you've been following my blogs  for a while, you know how hard it is to get protein in that child.  The Silver Hills Bakery bread is not as crumbly and dry as the Ezekiel 4:9 bread, but not soft like a whole wheat bread you'd find in the bread aisle. It also has a very good shelf life. Its seems to last in my pantry about a week (if its not eaten up long before then) before it seems to go stale. 

I have tried making my own sprouted bread at home too.   I wasn't too impressed with my first attempt - it was supposed to be a  "life-changing" bread recipe. Well it was, just not in the way the author thought. I didn't like it. The dog wouldn't even eat it. 

I haven't given up on making my own sprouted bread. There are tons of recipes out there.  I'll keep trying.  But in the meantime I'm happy to keep buying Silver Hills Bakery Bread.  Its a winner in my house. 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this bread yet, but I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good. I prefer the Silver Hills Bakery Bread to Ezekiel whenever I have a choice though. But Ezekiel is probably easier to find.

    ReplyDelete