Saturday, May 3, 2014

Overnight Oats




A super easy breakfast. We eat this one a lot.  I've adapted my recipe from the one here. Its a good one to take on the go or eat after the gym.  I eat this before long runs and it has carried me through.


The best part? It's totally adaptable and flexible.  Don't have raisins? Use dried cherries, currants or cranberries. Like nuts? Add them in just before digging in. Prefer Old Fashioned Oats to Steel Cut? No biggie. Like coconut? Put it in.  Don't want to measure? Just guess (although I recommend measuring the oats and milk). Want a bigger portion size? Double it up.  Want it gluten free?  No problem!

You can have it your way.

I make up a bunch of these in advance by putting the dry ingredients together in a tightly sealed container.



Then the night before I add the milk.  I've even forgotten to add the milk the night before and did it in the morning, let it sit for an hour the dive in.

Breakfast?  Check.

For a vegetarian, but non-vegan version, add 1/2 C plain greek yogurt the night before. Then the morning you want to eat, stir in 1/4 C milk.



Easy Overnight Oats

1/2 C your preferred oats
1/2 C your preferred non dairy milk
1/8 C raisins
3 dried apricots, chopped
1 T flaxseed meal or chia seed
1/4 t cinnamon
1/2-1 t maple syrup
Toasted nuts

Combine all ingredients in an airtight container or jar. Stir well and keep in fridge overnight. Heat it up in the morning if you want it warm, or just eat it cold (that's what I do).

2 comments:

  1. "Easy Overnight Oats", is this what you fed me before the marathon? That was really good and kept me full and full of energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the vegan version of what I made for you. I added greek yogurt and dairy milk for you. And the recipe is here is a fairly small portion. I usually make 1 1/2 or 2 times as much for long runs. Glad you liked it! Its one of my most reliable recipes.

      Delete