Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Guilt-easing pasta "fagioli"

So, I was going to leave the kids with spaghettios for dinner tonight with their Grandma. Then I read an article about how kids don't get their veggies, aren't exposed to veggies, etc. and the guilt kicked in and sent me running to the kitchen. I had planned to make white bean and rosemary stew at some point this week - but of course that didn't have veggies. No guilt easing there. So instead I brewed up a quick (all done during naptime) veggie concoction similar to pasta fagioli but not authentic in any way since I added almost every veggie I could find to the sauce.

And one special secret ingredient:


Spinach!!

Here's the recipe:

1/2 bag of ditalini or small macaroni pasta
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1/2 green pepper, finely diced
2 carrots, finely diced
2 handfuls of spinach, finely diced
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. oregano
shake of italian seasoning
freshly ground pepper
1 can white beans, cannellini or navy
1/2 to 1 cup of water or veg broth
1 pinch sugar (0ptional)
1 tsp balsamic vinegar (optional)

Prepare the pasta according to directions. I left mine slightly undercooked since it will continue to cook some in the sauce.

Saute onion, garlic, pepper, and carrots in large saucepan or pot until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes, spices, and about 1/2 cup of water or veg broth. Bring to a slight boil. Turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.

Once the tomatoes have broken down; taste it. I almost always add a pinch of sugar and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to my homemade pasta sauces at this point. It just gives it some depth. Then add the spinach, beans, and ditalini. If the sauce doesn't cover everything, just add some extra water.Once the beans and pasta are warmed you can serve it. Or, like me, you can cover it and let it sit on the stove until dinner time; then warm it to serve. This would be awesome with some crusty bread. Luckily, I think there will be some leftovers. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of adding balsalmic vinegar! Thanks for the tip!

    Oh, and I watched Food Inc while at my sisters...I told James that cereals were made my bad guides to inhibit the powers of super heros.

    ReplyDelete