Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Vegan comfort food?


I wasn't sure it was possible, but the book got pretty good reviews, and I was craving some "comfort food" so I bought it. It's called "Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food" by Alicia Simpson (2009). The title is a little misleading because the recipes that I've tried were not all that quick and easy in my opinion.

I tried the oven fried "chik'n seitan" and let's just say Rob now refers to that recipe as "roof shingles." I don't know if I did something wrong or what. The original seitan recipe said to simmer it in a broth for 40-50 minutes and then the oven fried recipe says to use that recipe, coat with a spicy panko mixture, and bake for 40-45 minutes. That just seems like too much cooking for a meat (substitute) product, so I wasn't surprised that they were tough. Maybe I was supposed to leave out the simmer step if I was planning to bake them??

Anyway, the "mac and cheeze" recipe was really good! It doesn't use a cheese substitute, which I was happy about because I do NOT like the vegan "cheeses" that I have tried. So I scanned it in and posted it above (sorry, it's showing you the second page of the recipe first). I think that's legal since I cited my source....if you have trouble reading it here and need me to email it to you, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jennie! I made some seiten using a recipe from vegan with a vengence. It sounds like a similar recipe, but I ended up sauting it. Turns out pretty good. Can't wait to try your mac and cheese recipe!

    ReplyDelete