Saturday, March 26, 2011

Kerri's Crunchies

It would have been cute to do the double K thing, but just couldn't do it...and I am not even an english type!

With this post, I am about to become completely irrelevant to Jennie. This is how I make my granola.

Kerri's Granola
1/2 cup maple syrup
4T oil
2T water
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup unsweetened coconut (hard to find, I have seen it at Ingels and Bloom)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup wheat germ (leave out for gluten free)
2T flaxseed
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 cup craisens

Preheat oven to 275. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

Photobucket

This particular granola really isn't all that sticky, so parment paper is probably overkill. Combine maple syrup, oil, water, vanilla, and cinnamon in a small pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.

Photobucket

In a large bowl, combined remaining ingredients EXCEPT craisens and stir.

Photobucket

Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir well. This step is key. You don't want to have a mixture that is too wet or too dry. I like mine on the dry side, and there is room for error, but if you have problems, it might be with this step.

Photobucket

Spread onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. A little more won't hurt.

Photobucket

After 30 minutes, stir granola gently and add craisens. Bake for another 30 minutes. A little less wouldn't hurt.

Photobucket

Allow to cool and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Freezes for I don't know how long...we always eat it! Yield is 8 cups.

Photobucket

Pictured here with my half cup measuring scoop. This granola is healthy, but is not light. Half of a cup equals about 250 calories. I eat a slightly heaping half cup with some unsweetened almond milk. James likes his over yogurt. Andy won't touch it.

Photobucket

NOTES:
*this is a very forgiving recipe really. If you have a little more or less of something, don't like craisens, only have old fashion oats, just go with it!
*wheat germ - I read somewhere that this helps the granola stick together. I use it just cause I have it and don't always use it. I don't think it helps.
*flaxseed - also I just use it cause I have it. I hear it is good for you.
*this granola really does not stick together. Jennie, the one I gave you for your trip was a combo of the above recipe and this one. That one does stick together pretty well, but I like this one better.

I also made quinoa stuff peppers and posted it on my monthly challenge blog. See the post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment