Friday, July 29, 2011

Banana Pepper Relish

I don't put every recipe I try on this site, although it might seem like I do. I try at least one new recipe a week, so I come across many, and some are complete bombs.

We've been getting so many banana peppers in our CSA boxes and I really didn't know what to do with them so I made some relish. But I haven't seen anything on Vegan Orange about how we've been using our banana peppers so I'm throwing this one out there.

Now, I'm not a fan of anything pickled or pickled-tasting, so I'm leaving it up to you all to determine if you think this is a good recipe. My husband liked it. And he would tell me if the recipe wasn't good or if he thought it needed something else.

Banana Pepper Relish

2 C banana peppers, finely chopped
1/4 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
1/2 T kosher salt
3/4 C cider vinegar
1/2 C-3/4 C sugar
1/4 t mustard seeds
1/4 t cayenne (optional)


Combine chopped peppers and salt in a large bowl. Let stand two hours. Drain.

Combine sugar, vinegar, and mustard seed and cayenne (if using) in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and dissolve the sugar.

Reduce heat and add peppers and simmer 10 minutes. Allow to cool and store in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I have been freezing/pickling my banana peppers and finally had to cry uncle this week and ask for less. Will make this one soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete