Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ratatoullie AND Vegan Ranch Dressing

Photobucket

What to do with all this eggplant? I did make a ratatoullie last year and like it. My neighbor Becky always brags on her recipe so I just had to try it. Luckily, she did not suspect I would share it with the WHOLE WORLD. The one difference between the recipe I tried and Ms. Becky's was that her recipe grilled the veggies. Or roasted. I roasted at 400 for like 30 minutes. Maybe more. Maybe less. I can't remember.

Photobucket

Once the veggies are roasted, you pour over a vinegrette and then add it to the pasta. It was delicious! So glad I tried this recipe.

Dressing

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 garlic cloves, pressed

2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves

1/2 teaspoon salt


Vegetables and Pasta

5 plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise

1 medium eggplant (1.5 pounds), cut into 1/2 inch slices

1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices

1 large green peppers, stemmed, seeded and quartered

1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley

1 pound uncooked penne or rigatoni pasta

grated fresh parmesan cheese


For dressing, combine vinegar, garlic, oregano, and salt. Set aside.

Cook pasta according to package.

Prepare grill for cooking over medium heat. Prepare vegetables and brush with oil.

Grill onion 10-12 minutes and tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, and pepper 6-8 minutes, uncovered.

Remove vegetables from grill and vut into bite-sized pieces. Place vegetables in large bowl and drizzle with dressing. Serve over pasta and top with grated cheese and parsley.

Yes, there is parm cheese on my picture. It was BOGO at the BILO and I am a weak, weak, human being.

So, now for this vegan dressing. Now, it didn't taste like a ranch dressing, but it was still a good dressing and very creamy. The soaked, raw, cashews really do a lot. I get my raw cashews at Trader Joe's. More dressings to come!

Photobucket

Raw Ranch Dressing (Yields ~3/4 c)

1/2 cup cashews, soaked for at least two hours
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. dried thyme
¼ tsp dried oregano
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp fresh dill
2 tbsp fresh parsley

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender (or regular blender, that is what I used)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment