Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Watermelon Sorbet

I'm sure most people don't need to find something to do with that huge watermelon we got in our CSA box this week.

My kids like watermelon, but we can't eat the whole thing. I've been making watermelon sorbet for a few years now and its how I use some of it. Its very refreshing when its 100 degrees outside.

Watermelon Sorbet
makes about 1 1/2 Qts

Abt 6 Cups cubed, seeded watermelon
1 Cup simple syrup (recipe follows)
2 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Puree watermelon in food processor. Measure 4 cups of puree and add to the simple syrup and lemon juice. Stir well and freeze in an ice cream maker until pretty frozen. It should at least have the consistency of a slurry.

Store in the freezer.

Simple Syrup
1 C sugar
1 C water

Bring to a boil, then simmer until the sugar dissolves. Cool to room temp, then refrigerate until ready to use. Can make it several days ahead of time.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, what?!?! I didn't get a watermelon. I got another cantalope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be coming. I actually went Monday and picked up my box instead going to the drop off point, so I'm sure it's on the way.

    ReplyDelete