Thursday, July 7, 2011

Burrito/Taco filling

Sorry I don't have a picture. I'll try to remember to put one on the next time I make this. This is the basic recipe I use to make my burrito filling at home. Its based off of another recipe I found online. I adapted it a bit, because I didn't really care for the original, but I like the concept of the vegan bean taco filling.

Unfortunately when I adapted this recipe, I didn't write down the measurements. And each time I make it and fail to measure what I put in. It does manage to come out pretty good each time though. The measurements listed below are just a guess, so please adjust seasonings to your tastes. This filling should be thick, but spreadable. You don't want it to leak out of the burrito shell or squirt out the back side when you bite into it.

I'm not very good at making up recipes, so go easy on me with your comments if you don't like it or have suggestions.

Black Bean Taco Filling

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 bell pepper, diced
2 (14.5 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed
1-2 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2-1 C salsa or water (optional)

Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and pepper; cook until tender. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Stir in mashed beans, spices and salsa or water. Mixture should have a thick, spreadable consistency without being too gloppy. Cover, and cook until heated through.

To serve, spread on a tortilla and top with favorite toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment