Thursday, July 7, 2011

Roasted Artichoke Salad

Whenever I make this, my husband looks at it and says "It might choke Arty, but its not going to choke Stimey!". Its from the Little Rascals. Don't ask me. He thinks its a funny artichoke joke.

This recipe is from Ina Garten. I have included my own modifications to it however. At this moment I am boycotting Ina Garten, because she refused to grant a dying kid his wish to cook with her - twice! (very uncool, Ina). But since I found this recipe a while ago, and I've made some of my own modifications, I continue to use it. Just no new Ina Garten recipes.

When I make this, I usually just throw it together without measuring, so the ingredients for the salad are just a guess. Its great anyway, you can modify as you like. I've also made this without roasted the artichokes and its great. Goes together so much quicker if you don't have to roast them. Serve it with a side of pasta or baguette.

Roasted Artichoke Salad

2 bags frozen artichoke hearts
2 T capers, drained
2 T black olives, sliced
2 roasted red peppers, chopped (jarred is fine)
1/4 C red onion, coarsely chopped
2 T fresh parsley,
1/2 pint

Vinaigrette
1 shallot, minced
1-2 T lemon juice
1 t dijon mustard
3 T white wine vinegar
1/4 C basil leaves
Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350. Toss the artichokes in olive oil, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Spread the artichokes onto a sheet pan and spread out into 1 layer; roast in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.

Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette. Place the minced shallot, lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper in the bowl of a food processor and process for 5 seconds. Add the basil leaves and process into a green puree. With the processor running, slowly pour olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube until the ingredients are finely pureed and it has the consistency of dressing. Set aside.

Place the roasted artichoke hearts in a bowl and toss with enough vinaigrette to moisten. Add the capers, red peppers, red onion, parsley and tomatoes and toss gently. Let stand for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment