Thursday, July 7, 2011

Eggplant Parm





So, here is another vegetarian recipe. This is one of our favorites, because the eggplant is baked, not breaded and fried. Most of the time I double the veggies and layer it more like lasagna.

2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese


Combine oil and garlic; brush over both sides of eggplant slices. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes; turn. Bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

Place half of the eggplant in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the basil and Parmesan cheese. Arrange tomato slices over top; sprinkle with remaining basil and Parmesan. layer with half of the mozzarella cheese and the remaining eggplant; top with remaining mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.

2 comments:

  1. I made this last night...YUM! I don't know if it was like I was thinking a eggplant parm would be, but still good. I did try to double the tomatoes and eggplant and still didn't add very much. Wish I took a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually more of a side dish than a main course, I think because there isn't any breading, it doesn't fill you up like you would expect. But that's part of why I like it-I hate the overstuffed feeling.

    ReplyDelete