Friday, April 8, 2011

Easy Veggie Udon

Photobucket

This is one of those recipes that is really easy, really cheap, and really good. I have made lots of asian inspired dishes and they usually end up tasting very soy saucey. This one is so simple, and the taste is subtle, but pretty close to what I have always gone for. By really easy, I mean we got home from the park at 5:30 and this was on the table by 6pm. By really cheap, these are all normal ingredients and I usually have them on hand! The exception is the udon noodles.

Photobucket

The first time I made this, the only udon noodles I found were like $4. Forget that. I used linguine. This time I did find the udon for $2 and got it, but still they look just like linguine.

Photobucket

I even think I liked the linguine better.

I served mine with a side salad and sprinkled toasted seasame seed for extra crunch.

Photobucket

Easy Veggie Udon. Source is here

This recipe is Vegetarian, Vegan, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Protein-Free, and Optional Gluten-Free

8 Ounces Udon Noodles (may substitute other noodles in a pinch; for gluten-free I recommend Eden’s all buckwheat soba noodles or rice noodles)
3 Tablespoons Sesame Oil, divided
3 Carrots, peeled into large shreds using a vegetable peeler
3 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
12 Ounces Mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 5-Ounce Bag Baby Spinach Leaves
1 1/2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce or Wheat-Free Tamari, divided
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
Salt to taste (I used around 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, but I would start with a dash or two and work your way up)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste or a Few Pinches of Crushed Red Pepper
Cook the noodles according to the package directions.

While those are boiling, heat 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil over medium-low heat (I do a lower heat to protect the flavor of the oil, but you can up it to medium if you are really hungry).

Add the carrots and saute for a few minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and saute just until the mushrooms begin to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the spinach and 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce, and saute for just a couple of minutes, until those leavese start to wilt.

Turn off the heat, and stir in the noodles, garlic powder, remaining 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, and any add-ins (see below), tossing well to ensure everything is coated with those flavors. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in big bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment