Monday, April 4, 2011

You Wouldn't Believe this was any Good . . .

if you didn't try it. Should I tell you whats in it? Your reaction might be the same as mine, when I first saw the recipe - "Who thinks this stuff up?" The chicks who wrote Veganomicon, that's who. But really, this is VERY good. I was quite surprised that I liked it. So here it goes.

Shredded Parsnip and Beet Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette

Dressing:
2 C Pineapple Juice
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1/4 C grapeseed oil
2 T agave nectar or maple syrup
1 clove garlic, grated with a microplane
1/4 t salt

Salad:
1 lb beets, peeled and shredded
1 lb parsnips, peeled and shredded
1/2 C mint, coarsely chopped

Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
Add the shredded beets and parsnips and thoroughly mix into the dressing.
Let macerate for 15 minutes. Add the mint and mix again. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

This has the texture of coleslaw. I will have you know, I am not a fan of either coleslaw or beets, but after discovering this recipe, we are now learning to be friends.

What brought me to try it? I overwintered parsnips, and they were ready to harvest a couple of weeks ago. I needed a recipe and saw this one. I'm glad I went out on a limb.

Oh - you can find Agave Nectar at Bloom in the gluten-free section or at Ingles in the baking aisle.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, congrats on the separated lines in your post! Second of all, aren't beets messy? That is why I would hesitate to try them. Third of all, do you have any more parsnips? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They weren't really all that messy for this recipe. I guess because they are raw. I was still careful not to get beet juice everywhere anyway. I used the last of my parsnips for my second batch of this stuff. Sorry, if I had more I'd give you some.

    ReplyDelete