Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sweet Potato and Kale Soup

Some of you may have seen this already since I posted in on facebook, but wanted to post it here too, since this page is becoming my go-to spot for many of my favorite vegan recipes :) And I apologize for the fact that I never post my own original recipes - that's because I don't have any of my own vegan recipes! I guess as a chef I am just not that creative. So I find other recipes that look interesting, and I modify them to make them vegan, or sometimes to make them yummier. So for this one, I modified as follows:

  • Instead of using chicken broth, I used vegetable broth (to make it vegan)

  • I could not find canned unsweetened coconut milk but I did find a carton of it in the dairy section with the soy milk, almond milk, etc.

  • I added a can of black beans (drained) to add some protein; could also use kidney beans or white beans or whatever you have

  • I probably added more than the recommended cup of rice, just to make it a little heartier

  • I cut, boiled, and pureed the sweet potatoes instead of using chunks

  • I added some cumin and curry, just for more flavor

I was a little nervous about this recipe because Rob and I are not fans of coconut, but I needed to use some sweet potatoes, and I like to find new ways to use kale, so thought I'd give it a shot. It does not taste coconutty at all. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much we both liked it!


http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/island-kale-and-sweet-potato-soup

No comments:

Post a Comment