Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Vegan Pie Crust

This pie crust I found here, but I made my own adaptation because I didn't have margarine (we are non-margarine eaters in our house). For good information, be sure to read to original. I did not reprint all the info, because its alot to type. I just included my own adaptation below.

It was simple to do, super flaky, stood up well to a high moisture pie and tasted great. I'm generally not a fan of pie, mostly because I don't like the crust (too soggy, edges are burned, bland or bitter flavor). But I have to admit, this crust was a huge success! I love it and I will use it again. Blueberries are coming into season and I'm already looking forward to some blueberry pie! If you are nice to me, I'll share it with you!

A few rules of thumb when making any pie crust:
1) Handle the dough as little as possible
2) Resist the urge to overmix
3) Be sure your liquids are ice-cold

VEGAN PIE CRUST
makes two 9-inch pie crusts

2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
2 T sugar
1 t salt
3/4 C Coconut Oil (find it at Ingles in the baking aisle or at Bloom in the gluten-free section)
1/2 C vegetable shortening
1/4 C ice cold water
3 T ice cold vodka

Combine flour sugar and salt in the bowl of your food processor (just give it a quick pulse or two to combine). Add the shortening and coconut oil and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand - about 3-5 pulses if I remember correctly (you will have a few larger pieces of fat-that's okay). Resist the urge to overmix (the larger pieces or fat in the crust are what makes it flaky).

Drizzle half of the chilled water and vodka over the mixture and gently toss with your fingers (or do what I did and just give it a pulse in the processor). Drizzle the other half in and toss again (just one more pulse). Some parts may seem wet, and other parts dry. Thats okay.

Dump the dough out onto your counter. With as little handling as possible, compress the dough with your hands. Cut the dough in half, wrap each piece in plastic wrap and shape into a 4" disk. Refrigerate for one hour or freeze up to 6 months.

When you are ready to bake, cut two pieces of parchment paper to 12 inch by 12 inch size. Roll the dough out between the two sheets until its about 12-inches in diameter. Peel the top paper off, invert the crust over your pan and gently lay into your pan. Peel the other paper off and gently with your hands, work the crust into the corners of the pan.

If you have a few holes, patch them gently with scraps or push the dough together. Cut the dough overhanging the edge of the pan to leave a 1/2" overhang. Gently fold the outer edge underneath the crust. Flute the edge with your fingers or a fork. Prick the shell with a fork on the bottom. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.



Unbaked Pie Shell (see the striations of shortening and coconut oil?)


If you are prebaking the crust, cut a piece of parchment paper about 12"x12" and place it in the shell. Fill the shell with pie weights or dried beans. Bake at 425 degrees. I always use a pie sheld, because for some reason, my crust always gets too dark on the edges, but you don't have to.

Place the shell on a cookie sheet and place on the lowest rack setting. Bake for 15 minutes, the remove the paper and the weights. Rotate the pie 180 degrees and bake for another 5-10 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before filling.




Fully baked pie Shell (Golden brown)

No comments:

Post a Comment